What you can do from the campsite
- Wildlife spotting! Lochranza Campsite is nestled in a valley roamed by hill sheep and red deer, and nearby you might also spot red squirrels, harbour seals, golden eagles and otters – the full complement of Scotland’s Big Five. Don’t forget your binoculars!
- The campsite is at the start of several iconic walks, including the Laggan Circuit (8 miles), which winds around the headland, and the shorter walk to Fairy Dell (4 miles), a route that takes in Hutton’s Unconformity, where 18th-century geologist James Hutton proved that the world was much older than thought at the time. The campsite is also close to the start of the Glen Easan Biorach/ Glen Catacol circular walk (9 miles) – you’ll climb into a stunning valley where the path teeters above a sheer ravine. We sell OS maps in reception or please bring your own - don't rely on having a mobile signal in Lochranza.
- For rest days, a circular mown track for walkers and joggers follows the boundaries of Lochranza Golf course and Ranza Burn from the campsite (1.5 miles).
- Across the road you’ll find the internationally renowned Arran Distillery, home of the award-winning Arran Single Malt. The distillery runs excellent guided tours and tasting sessions, and has a nice café and gift shop.
- We are 10 minutes’ walk from the absurdly picturesque Loch of Ranza and the ruins of the 13th-century castle.
- It’s a 15-minute walk to the pier, where you can take the short ferry ride to Kintyre, and a five-minute walk from the Lochranza Centre, which runs watersports, outdoors and geology activities.